<$BlogRSDURL$>


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

I thought I'd try my hand at an American Idol review this week, since my homework is caught up for now. It's Inspirational Songs Week....on Ammmeeerrrrrrrican Idol!

Michael Johns – Dream On

I did not like this performance. He was definitely not hitting those ultra-high notes in the chorus of the song, and it made me want to turn off the volume on my television. I do like that song, but not the way he sang it.

Syesha Mercado – I Believe

This was pretty good, although there were a couple of really pitchy places. She really nailed that high note near the end of the song, didn’t she? There was a lot of ooh ooh at the beginning of the song, but that’s okay. It was better than Michael’s song.

Jason Castro – Somewhere Over The Rainbow

I really dislike this song, so much so that when he announced he was going to sing it I thought, “Oh, not that song, pleeze!!” He did the version of the song that is played on a ukulele, and messed up the words in the middle. It was like he combined two verses, which would have been okay if he hadn’t seemed to stumble. He did it again at the end. It just really did not work for me. Besides, every time I hear that version, I think of the episode of ER where Dr. Greene died.

Kristy Lee Cook – I Do It Anyway

I hate to say it, but she did a pretty good job this week. Of course, she usually does when she can stick to country music. I didn’t hear any pitch problems like some of the others, and there was some feeling there. I think she’ll probably last another week.

David Cook – Innocent

He looks so much better since he got his haircut, don’t you think? I had never heard this song before, but he did a pretty good job. The background singers were too loud and drowned him out on occasion, but overall I enjoyed it. It wasn’t as good as previous weeks, but there were definitely worse singers tonight.

Carly Smithson – The Show Must Go On

She’s doing a Queen song? Heaven help us. I got absolutely no emotion from Carly tonight. A robot could have done just as well as she did. I love Queen’s music, and this was heart breaking. What more needs to be said? People, stop singing Freddy Mercury’s songs.

David Archuleta – Angels

David is a wonderful singer, in my opinion. That being said, I think he is getting to his peak and won’t progress any farther. I’m not saying he will go home this week; I’m saying he’s not going to get any better. He was a bit pitchy again, and it is starting to get old. I was a big fan when this competition started, but he should not win.

Brooke White – You’ve Got A Friend

I really like this song. Brooke did a very good job on the song, both in tempo and pitch and in her emotional connection to the song. She’s in no danger of going home this week.

Bottom three this week: Jason, Michael and Carly. They were all equally bad, so I'm not picking the worst in the three. That's up to you.

Comments: Post a Comment
Observations & Rants Blog Directory

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?