Thursday, June 15, 2006
AFI presented their 100 Years, 100 Cheers list tonight. It's a fairly good list, but I think they overlooked a few movies:
1. "Jaws" - This is a classic movie with a good message. No matter how afraid the chief of police was, he went out on that boat and saved the community from the shark.So what do you think? Are there other movies that should have been on the list? Let me know.
2. "Godzilla" - Come on. Have you ever seen a monster like him? He never gave up. King Kong was killed, but not Godzilla. He came back at least a half dozen times. A true example of persistence.
3. "The Great Escape" - Excellent movie about giving your all, even though you're outnumbered. Steve McQueen was never successful, but he kept trying. Another excellent example of courage in the face of greater numbers would be "Battle of the Bulge".
4. "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman" - I know this is a TV movie, but it's still a marvelous movie. And more than worthy of this list. Cicely Tyson deserved every acolade she received. I loved the last scene, when she slowly worked her way to the "Whites Only" water fountain, in front of the cops, and took a long, cool drink. True class.
5. "The Passion of the Christ" - This was the definitive movie on Christianity, and should not have been left off the list.
Comments: Post a Comment