<$BlogRSDURL$>


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

I was reading this article about California possibly changing the date of their presidential primary so it would be more relevant, when I came across a somewhat buried bit of information I hadn't seen anywhere else in the news.
The second bill would ratify an interstate compact under which California's 55 Electoral College members would agree to support the winner of the national popular vote for president, regardless of the outcome of the election in California.

The compact would have be ratified by states with a majority of electoral votes to take effect. It's currently under consideration in four other states - Louisiana, Illinois, Missouri and Colorado, where it's passed the state Senate, according to an Assembly analysis of Umberg's bill.
Well, I've gotta tell ya, this was news to me. According to this, if these plans pass, our votes for president would be pretty much meaningless. The states with the most voters (California, New York, Florida, Illinois, etc.) would decide the presidency and we wouldn't matter. People, this is precisely why the Electoral College was set up in the first place. With it, each and every state would matter. Without it, the smaller states would become second class, having very little input into matters of national import. Do we really want to vote for a particular candidate, only to have a larger state overrule our decision? I certainly don't. All of us in the states considering this nightmare should contact our representatives and make sure they understand how very wrong this would be. I know I don't want California and New York to decide my votes don't count.

Comments: Post a Comment
Observations & Rants Blog Directory

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?