<$BlogRSDURL$>


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

What a day I've had. I spent a great deal of time on the phone and accomplished exactly nothing. It all started when I received one of those "Dear Medicaid Recipient" letters, outlining all the upcoming cuts in services to us poor folk. It was one of the most confusing letters I've ever read, and I used to work for the federal government. So I called the number on the letter to find out where I stand, only to reach one of those abominable computer phone routing systems. After several "options", I was told by the computer to call my local family services office for more information. So I did. I found out they don't have a clue as to what I'll still be getting services-wise, and they suggested I call my individual service providers, to see if they'll still be covered. So I did. They don't know either. When I called my oxygen provider (yes, that's one of the things that may be cut), they said they won't know one way or the other until a bill is disallowed when they submit it. That sucks for me, as I can't afford to pay what Medicaid doesn't. They said they would work with us to keep my oxygen coming. I said thanks, since I'm not ready to stop breathing yet. I will have to give up my nebulizer, so I may be getting sick more often. That's real cost saver, boy. I also am losing my physical therapy, so there will be no improvements in range-of-motion, or improvement in arthritis problems, so that will mean medication instead of P.T. And my pharmaceuticals will be provided through Medicare now, instead of Medicaid. I have to sign up for one of their plans by November, or my meds won't be covered at all. This really sucks, guys. But it could be worse. I don't have a wheelchair, hospital bed, feeding equipment, or any of the other durable equipment that will no longer be covered. I don't know what the people who depend on these things are supposed to do. There will be no more home health aides covered, so the nursing homes will start to fill up. In the meantime, the state legislators will still be drawing full salary for a few months' work. This is wrong in oh so many ways. If you live in Missouri, contact your representative. Contact the governor's office. Don't let this go down without a fight. Most of the people being cut from the program are children whose parents are now considered to be making "too much money". What a crock. Let them know what you think.

Comments: Post a Comment
Observations & Rants Blog Directory

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?