<$BlogRSDURL$>


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Baldilocks really outdid herself, writing about the importance of mathematics. I recall having to memorize the times tables and flash cards for addition and subtraction. Once those were memorized, the rest seemed to come easy. But they don't do the memorization in school anymore. It's a wonder kids learn anything about math, when it should be the easiest subject to learn. Math is constant. The principles of mathematics will never change. Angles are always measured the same way. And 3 + 3 is always going to be 6, no matter how you write it. Kids in this country should be excelling in math, but they're not. And it's a crying shame. I enjoyed math classes, right up until I finished algebra. Then, instead of taking geometry (the next logical step), I tried to skip over to algebra 2 and trigonometry. Big mistake. But I knew enough of the basics to pass, albeit with a lousy grade. And we use math every single day of our lives. Even if it's just to determine how long until the workday is done. Or to figure if you have enough money to buy your lunch. We've got to get kids interested in math, if not excited about the world of numbers. From there, they can go anywhere their hearts desire.

Comments:
And you have hit upon the best point -- None of us have any idea what a 14-year-old is going to turn out to be. I know that I certainly didn't want to be a math teacher when I was 14. Teens must be equipped with all of the tools they need to eventually make that decision for themselves.

By the way, congratulations for beating me in the Weblog Awards. Good job with this site.
 
Post a Comment
Observations & Rants Blog Directory

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?