<$BlogRSDURL$>


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Taken (stolen) from today's "Best of the Web":

From a John Kerry speech commemorating Martin Luther King Day, Jan. 20, 2003:

I remember well April 1968--I was serving in Vietnam--a place of violence--when the news reports brought home to me and my crewmates the violence back home--and the tragic news that one of the bullets flying that terrible spring took the life of that unabashedly maladjusted citizen.

In fact, Kerry did not go to Vietnam until November 1968.



Setting aside the fact that he lied (again) about being in Vietnam in April, 1968, I have a real problem with Kerry referring to Martin Luther King as "that unabashedly maladjusted citizen". What was the maladjusted part? I always thought of Martin Luther King as a peaceful man who genuinely wanted equal rights for blacks and whites in this country. I have always admired him. I couldn't give a fig about some of those who have come since: Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan, Kweise Mfume, etc. (If I spelled any of those names wrong, sorry.) I think Martin Luther King would puke at some of the things that have supposedly been done in his name. Granted, when he died, I was 12 years old, but that's old enough to know right from wrong. Wrong is what the blacks in this country went through in the last century, up until the Civil Rights Act was passed. It has gotten better since then. I'm not saying it's all equal now; that would be stupid. In some ways it has; in others, the scales have tipped too far in the other direction; in yet others, they haven't changed much at all.

So that's how I feel. My question is: How do blacks feel about MLK being called a "maladjusted" citizen? I don't remember any backlash to that speech. Anyone remember?

Comments: Post a Comment
Observations & Rants Blog Directory

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?