<$BlogRSDURL$>


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Monday, July 19, 2004

Okay here we go.  I promised a recap of this week to my oh so many readers (tee hee).  On Monday morning, we arrived at the hospital at 5:15 am so we could wait until 6:15 to be checked in (figures).  After check-in, we were taken to a pre-op area, where I was bled for type in case they needed to give me blood (for my family's info, I'm B+), got my enema, got my vitals checked again, and was dressed (or undressed) for surgery.  Then I was wheeled to a different pre-op area, where I said goodbye to my husband (at which point we both almost started crying, God I love him!), then on to get my IV started.  I remember talking to the doctor, who was upset that I wasn't ready yet, and talking to the anesthesiologist, then they pushed me into the surgical theater.  I remember helping them move me to the operating table, then waking up in my hospital room.  It was all over.  My family was there, and there were flowers and a teddy bear.  My favorite thing was by my side:  a PCA machine.  Every time I pushed the little black button, it gave me a booster of Demerol.  So I really didn't have that much pain. 
 
I slept most of Monday away, and well into Tuesday.  The staff came in frequently to move me around, because for some reason I couldn't move myself. 
 
I remember asking about food.  Remember I hadn't had any solid food since Friday.  They told me I could start on a liquid diet as soon as I passed gas.  I thought, no big deal.  Little did I know that wasn't going to happen until Wednesday evening.  All I had until then was ice chips and sips of water.
 
I finally started eating real food on Thursday.  They had pretty good food.  I've definitely had worse. 
 
My worst times in the hospital were when I had to go to the bathroom.  Have you ever tried to get out of bed without using your abdominal muscles?  Try it some time.  It's really hard to do.
 
Anyway, every day got a little better, until they took me off the Demerol.  Then it was on to Percocet, which works very well, but takes longer to work.  Now that I'm home, I'm on Lorcet Plus, which is a little stronger, but I was already using it for back pain, so I just have to use it more often.  I also have a prescription for Premarin, just so I don't freak out on my husband.
 
I came home from the hospital Friday evening, after they took out the staples and taped over the wound.  I'm under instruction to lift nothing heavier than 5 pounds.  I can't do housework, laundry, cooking, dishes, etc. for a minimum of 3 weeks.  Can't drive the car either.  No stairs.  No lifting,  No reaching.  So I get to sit around and watch my husband wait on me.  I don't like that.  I'm used to waiting on him.
 
My daughter came over today.  She's gonna come back on Tuesday to help him clean the house.  Good.  Of course, she's gonna bring the kids with her.  All four of them.  God give me strength.  She says she's gonna put them to work.  We'll see.
 
Now I can resume my regular schedule of reading blogs, and making snarky remarks as needed. 
 
Any questions?

Comments: Post a Comment
Observations & Rants Blog Directory

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?