<$BlogRSDURL$>


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I had my "pre-admission" appointment today at the hospital. What fun! They take you into a private room, and a nurse counselor goes over every single detail of what they are going to do to you on the day of your surgery. Then you have to undergo a series of tests: blood draw (5 tubes), chest X-ray, EKG, pulse, blood pressure, height, weight. After all that entertainment, you get to meet the anesthesiologist who will be gassing you, er..putting you to sleep. I asked him if I would be waking up. He said sure. We'll see.

Then I got the really bad news. I have to take off my rings. You must understand, this is very distressing for me. I wear two rings every single day: my wedding rings, and my "family" ring. That one is a braided band with four stones in it, like a mother's ring, but there are stones for our two children, my husband and myself. I never take these rings off. Ever. Until now. Now they want them off. I told them I hadn't had them off since the day I got them. When my husband put my wedding rings on my finger, I weighed 95 lbs, dripping wet. I don't anymore. To get these rings off, I'm going to have to cut them off. I really don't want to do that. I'm going to try to get them to make an exception. They did when I had surgery in 1984, they might again. We'll see.

So I brought home a whole sack (I'm not kidding) of forms and pamphlets to read before Friday. I also brought home some special soap. I have to shower the night before the surgery with this soap, and again the morning of the surgery. Scrub everything from the neck down (soap not suitable for face), paying special attention to surgical area. They also want me to give myself an enema. That's not gonna happen. I don't know about you, but I cannot turn myself into a pretzel anymore (even though I'm already shaped like a Cheeto). If they want me to have an enema, they'll have to do that themselves. I wouldn't want them to feel neglected. Anyway, that brings you up to date. My next experience is the pre-operative visit with the surgeon on Friday afternoon. Happy happy joy joy!!

Comments: Post a Comment
Observations & Rants Blog Directory

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?