<$BlogRSDURL$>


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Tuesday, April 27, 2004

They're going to inaugurate the World War II Memorial on Memorial Day this year. I wish my father had lived to see it. He was a tank commander, serving in France, Germany, and Czechoslavakia. He was awarded a bronze star, although I didn't learn that until he had passed away. He would never talk about the war, except to say that it was very ugly and he didn't want to discuss it. I wish he had. I wish I could contact some of the men who served with him. I'm in the process now of determining what the medal was for. I have his discharge papers (that's how I learned about the award), but they don't say why. Anyway, I know he would have loved the memorial. So would my father-in-law, rest his soul. He served on the back of a jeep, firing a .50 caliber gun. Just like the guys in "The Rat Patrol", but he was in France. He landed the day after D-Day.

Comments: Post a Comment
Observations & Rants Blog Directory

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?